Friday, October 7, 2016

Farm Fun in Pre-K



Hi! I'm Ayn and I am a Ga. Pre-K teacher, serving 4 and 5 year olds in an inclusive setting. I share my classroom adventures on my blog, little illuminations.

We recently learned about farms and farm life in Pre-K. We had a lot of hands on fun and even had some special visitors from the farm!




One of the kids in my class has pet chickens, so his family brought a couple for us to meet. We learned about how they eat, and all about their eggs. 










We talked about cows and made some fresh butter. It is so easy and incredibly delicious! Usually most of the kids hesitate to try it at first, but after they do, they can't get enough!





I added this little sensory bin filled with timothy hay, toy farm animals and a barn made from a tissue box and silo from a paper towel roll. 




I found this rhyme a couple of years ago online and made an anchor chart to practice rhyming and onsets of farm vocabulary.





We also made lists of animals, plants, people, vehicles/equipment and other things found on the farm. As we read about farm life the children offered suggestions of items to add to the lists. I don't have a picture of the final chart, but after we finished most of the lists, we made a cute chart to hang in writing with all of the suggestions. 





In our art center, I made a couple of paper plate farm animals and left some plates and paper bags, feathers and paper shapes as an invitation to create some animals.






We used puppets to retell some of our favorite farm books and songs. Mrs. Wishy Washy by Joy Cowley and Old McDonald were definite favorites!





Here is a few pictures of some changes to our dramatic play area I have done in the past, featured in my post here called "Setting The Scene For Dramatic Play".




I also added these pool noodle horses to our centers for play. I posted them here in the post "Pool Noodle Ponies: DIY Hobby Horses".




My friend Laura Balma Eldredge has a great post called "Down On The Farm In Preschool" with more great ideas for farm fun! Be sure to check it out!

We usually go to the farm when studying this unit but due to some other things going on, we had to postpone our visit until the spring. If you'd like to read more about some of our farm visits, check out these posts:

                "Summer Days At Valley Hill Farm"
               "10 (More) Summer Stay-cations on a Budget"

and more of our classroom farm activities:

                 "Mrs. Ayn's Pre-K Had A Farm! E-I-E-I-O!"



 Stop by and visit me anytime at littleilluminations.blogspot.com or visit the little illuminations fanpage on facebook! And be sure to check out PreK+K Sharing EEE!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...